Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Treasure Island


Do you, like myself, enjoy reading books?? If yes, then I hope that you have had the chance to read those books that you grew up loving to your children. Well in all honestly I had never read Robert Louis Stevenson's book before I had children. One day when I was scouring the used book store, I decided that there were a great many books out there that I had not read as a child. So I finished with my other books and picked up Treasure Island again. I was so enraptured by their adventure on a sea-going vessel that I decided that my girls would enjoy it too. Naturally, I did all the voices. Jim of course had a young boys accent. One that had not quite reached puberty. Captain Smollett had a very husky, deep english voice while the squire was very cockneyed. I loved doing the voice for Dr. Livesley since I thought he should have a very snooty, educated english accent. Amazingly the girls let me read several chapters to them while swimming in the tub. I really caught sarah's attention when the parrot had a line or two. She loves parrots. The idea of sailing off in search of treasure with a possible mutiny is so exciting. What will happen to the crew and what is going to happen on the island? Will there be a treasure? I am so excited to find out.

7 comments:

Cort said...

I haven't read it but totally will! I missed out on a lot of the classis like that some how. What else do you have on your list of must reads? Have you ever read Moby Dick or 20,000 leagues?

Life with the Warrens said...

i have started 20,000 leagues under the sea over christmas break but had to put it down to get other books read. as of yet, i have not read moby dick but i think that every good american should read it! others on my list are Lorna Doone, Robin Hood, Anne Frank, and there are lots more.

Sarady said...

"Um, who is Anne Frank?"

Life with the Warrens said...

hahahaha very funny. the diary of Anne Frank. actually i think you are commenting on the dude from church who didn't know who she was. ahahahahahahaha you are the bestest friend in the whole bestest world.

Sarady said...

Yes, I was mocking the boy who you said lived in a hole.

I like how you read cool books. Sorry I never shared your passion for Dragon Lance.

Julie said...

Moby Dick is awful! Be warned! LOL! I love reading with Ben... but usually he is more into Captain Underpants than Captain Flint.

Cort said...

Carlos was saying something about Anne Frank not too long ago and I've never read or heard the real story (it's on my list) and I said, "Isn't that the lesbian chick in some attic?" He laughed. Apparently he was thinking I live a hole too.