Saturday, February 28, 2009

" oh did you think i didn't know what a Eugooglie was?"

So I never thought in all my life I would be presenting a Eulogy for anyone, let alone my father. I think I did ok. I saw my brother with tears in his eyes and I had them in my eyes a couple of times. Planning a funeral is never easy but I swear having the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life has made it so easy to press on and feel the peace in my heart that I need right now in my life. At the viewing I wasn't scared only sad that my dad knew he was dying for a long time but didn't tell anyone including his wife. He promised that he would die doing service for the members of the church and he literally did just that. He was loading up his truck with bread for the members and took a break and went to heaven. He told the bishop two weeks before that they next time he saw the bishop it would be in heaven. The bishop thought that was weird but it was completely true. My dad was too sick to make it to church the sunday before he passed. It was awesome to see him in an all white casket with his complete temple clothes on with the American flag on the other half of the casket. With any luck, I will be presented with that flag at the burial. I have made a vow to have that flag as a reminder of my father and love for his country while he served in the Army. I will be leaving home tomorrow night once again to attend the burial in the VA cemetary on Tuesday morning. He was a hard man but I loved him and his soft heart.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm sorry about your dad. My uncle did the same thing a year ago, not telling anyone he was really sick until there was nothing that could be done (including his doctors!). I hope everything goes well with the funeral.

[Morgan] said...

i'm sorry to hear about your dad, sounds like an amazing guy.
loves.


ps. that's my favorite movie:)

stephasauri said...

I'm so sorry Tanya. I can't imagin how hard it would be to speak at your dad's funeral. You are an amazing woman. Sending love your way!

Maleina said...

You are a gem, truly. I never knew your father but that was a sweet post thank you for sharing.

gruvyteacher said...

I so loved spending time with you and your family. They are just precious. I had so much fun and enjoyed just being around you.
Just wanted to say even though we really have spent much time together as sisters, I love you just as if we had.

millerjk said...

It is already Tuesday, but if you need a friend in VA email me...we are here for another week.
millerjk@gmail.com
Hope you find peace.
John and Kellie

Julie said...

Oh, Tanya! I didn't know! I am so sorry... You are such a strong and spiritual woman. I know you will miss him so much, and I am sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

Life with the Warrens said...

Thank you all so much for you love and prayers. We have finally buried my father in the VA cemetery and the it was amazing. I was presented with the shells from the gun salute since they wouldn't give me the flag. that had to go to his nasty widow he doesn't deserve to be in this country.

Sarady said...

Oh, Tanski. What a great post. Your dad truly was amazing--I mean, he'd have to be cuz you're so amazing. I wish I could have been there to support you. I know your Eugoogalie was what his family and friends needed to hear; you are one of the strongest people I know, and I think people--especially your family--look to you to be the rock. I love you.