Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Experiement


So for all my life I have had issues with food. Not with comsuming too much or too little but the whole digestion thing. I felt like any time I was going to eat something there would be a problem. And I eat pretty healthy. Hey the daily brownie is healthy right? So finally at age 100, I mean 31, I decided something has got to change and I wasn't about to go through some crazy tests with a doctor. I simply don't have the time or patience to listen to some bozo "try" and figure out what went wrong with me. I am pretty smart and not clueless about different digestion problems. Heck, my mother has Colitis, so I know about THOSE problems. Not cool and very painful if not eating properly. So I was challenged to do the Atkins Diet cuz I mocked it so badly. And yeah, I totally believe in the Food Pyramid so it was easy to laugh at Dr. Atkins. Wow. Big. Mistake. So about 2 1/2 weeks ago I set aside my craving for sweets and breads etc. I lost my craving treats *sob sob* and guess what? I also lost my painful digestion problems. I didn't figure it out until taco salad night at my house for din din. I asked jeremy to grab some chips on the way home from work and he shows up with Gluten Free Chips. I started laughing and asked him why he bought Gluten free chips. Jeremy says: They were the cheapest.
Little did we know that was going to change my life. Within 20-30 minutes after eating I start to have a serious, painful problem along with other unsavory responses to the food I had just eaten.
After Taco Salad, I have nothing. I was confused. I stopped and looked at Jeremy and said "Something is wrong, different, I feel good with no tummy aches. Why?
I went through what we ate. Ground Beef, cheese(my enemy cuz i thought i was lactose intolerant), tomatoes, lettuce and gluten free chips. I knew it! The chips were the only thing different. I had a gluten problem. After that I night I was strictly adhereing to a gluten free, sugar free diet along with Atkins and the results have been astounding. I accidently had a soup with barley in it and was suffering but I didn't repeat that. It was my control soup if you know what i mean. So now I begin a new chapter in my life as a Gluten Free Mom.
It works for me and I am happy to follow this new food lifestyle. I started losing a ton of weight with no other changes to my exercise. Who knew?? I don't need a doctor to tell me otherwise cuz this seems to be working. Finally I can eat without wanting to die afterwards. Now I just have to annoy everyone else by asking what is in their food all the time. How do I do that tactfully? I guess I will figure it out as I go along.

7 comments:

Cort said...

What's nice is that there's more and more gluten free stuff popping up all the time! Way to be your own Dr., it's sad that that's just how it has to be today. Some Dr would have just prescribed some crappy med when it's all about the diet.

Amanda said...

Congrats! It's so nice to be able to figure out what the problem is and fix it without going to dumb doctors!

Sarady said...

I'm glad you found a way to relieve yourself from relieving yourself so frequently. Gluten, huh? And I should shamelessly tease you about the Atkins Diet for all the !CRAP! that you gave me for trying it for one week! But I won't. I'm just glad you found something that is helping you feel better. Love you, my pet.

Amanda said...

At the risk of sounding stupid, what's "PBR" stand for?

Life with the Warrens said...

PBR=Professional Bull Riding.

Sarah said...

Tanya! I am also a gluten free mama. I was diagnosed with celiac disease almost 4 years ago. I haven't eaten gluten since then. Check out www.eatingglutenfree.com. They have good recipes and products. I still eat pasta, bread, cereal, etc., just the gluten free ones.

And as for always asking "what's in this?", yes, it is hard and I totally feel high maintenance and annoying. I just say that I have a food allergy and need to know exactly what I am eating. Technically it's not an allergy, but people seem to respond better to that than anything else. I can totally recommend some great GF products if you want! I don't think I'll be too much help unless you start eating breads again, though. Good luck!

Hayden family said...

I am so excited for you! I know how difficult it is to live with digestion problems! I went 3 months with out eating sugar and it was the best thing I've ever done! Go girl! Call me ASAP!